University of Missouri-Kansas City, School of Dentistry
Carrie L. Hanson, RDH, EdD
Assistant Professor, Director
Admission Enhancement Program
I definitely recommend Mary Jean Billingsley to other people and/or organizations. Her professionalism and confidence, yet approachable manner, in teaching these skills helps everyone to feel at ease and that they, too, can learn to have great etiquette skills at professional cocktail hours, meetings, dinners, and conferences. This is a life-long skill to be able to have in the professional world.
Mary Jean’s skills in etiquette training help our pre-dental students who are mostly from underrepresented minority backgrounds or come from rural areas in many ways. These students have not had much exposure to proper etiquette in how to conduct themselves at professional dinners or business meetings. Her training helps prepare them for a life in the professional world of dentistry and attending national conferences. The students’ feedback on our AEP outcomes survey indicated that the training was enjoyable and helpful to them.
Here’s what participants in the program have said:
- I didn’t realize how incredibly important proper etiquette was until this part of the program. I now believe these skills will better set me apart from my competition.
- I often find myself practicing all of the tips I learned while dining with friends and family.
- This is my favorite part of the program. An evening practicing the essentials of fine dining etiquette is both insightful and fun.
- I’ve wanted to learn more about formal dining, and now I feel more confident about dinners I will attend in the future.
- Mrs. Billingsley teaches etiquette in a way that’s both fun to learn and easy to remember.